Tuesday, July 27

Ensure you can insure

Before you buy a boat, call a marine insurance company. Ask them this simple question, "Do I have to be Neptune, god of all the seas, to get insurance from you?" You will find that 99% of the time the answer will be yes. Keep calling companies until someone says no. These calls will save you time later on in the process.

I learned again that when you play with other people's money (and other people's liability) you play by their rules. The bank told me that I needed to have insurance within 10 days of signing the papers. No problem. After all it only took me half an hour to get car insurance! Besides, I had a survey done, I had everything on the survey fixed, I had it re-surveyed... what more could I need? Oh right, experience... And a fiberglass boat... And somewhere to live other than the boat... And a smaller boat. As it turns out, no one wants to insure a first time boat owner when they are buying a 48' 1964 wood boat to live on.

Here's the part that bugs me... they say I have no experience "with boats of this size." And, I haven't taken USCG safety or navigation courses. And, I don't know what it takes to maintain a boat like this. (Hold on while I put on my ego hat.) Along with learning to sail when I was young, and racing a 27 ft sail boat, and operating a few other random pleasure boats, I have navigated and piloted a 580' long 40' beam 40' draft submarine, through a 500 ft wide channel. I have been officer of the deck of a 16,000-TON boat, by myself at midnight in a huge storm in the Pacific Ocean. I have been in charge of the operation and maintenance of a nuclear reactor. If I can't figure out how to pump my own shit tanks on a regular basis, or seal up a leak in the hull, or apply paint and varnish on a regular basis, or how to be careful when piloting a 3.5 ft draft boat, or how to ASK FOR HELP WHEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING then I don't deserve to live. Or get insurance. RRRRRR. Frustration. None of that counted for anything. Now if only the sub had been wood!

So on day nine I got insurance. I had called every marine insurance company I could find. And when they turned me down, I called every marine insurance broker those companies recommended. Finally it was Robinson, Maurer, and Welts of Seattle, WA who came through for me. Thank you. I think my policy is though Lloyds of London; the company that insures everything. They even insure models' hands and boobs and the like for a billion dollars or whatever. And apparently they are willing to take a huge risk on my $60,000 boat.

The moral of the story is... Ensure you can get insured before you buy a boat. Or be Neptune, and buy a 22 ft Bayliner.

-Tom

5 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're a regular popeye the sailor man cabin boy salty sea dog now, huh? Although not neptune god of the sea -- yet. Kevin brought his jaspee up well. Rob gave me the link to this, and I'm happy to see that you are movin' on up. Now you can say that you've lived in a mobile home -- like kid rock and eminem. yours is the hero's part, tom, ready to do. may you be daring tho' skies be dark and waterways unsure.
--Jim Tracy

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jessi and Tom said...

Well who's on the list of names I didn't expect to see posting here... Jim Tracy, yup there it is...

Good to hear from you. I'm glad you came by to read my blog. I'm actually surprised anyone is reading it other than family!

What a blast from the past. How fun. Here's to Regis.

How's life? What are you doing? These questions assume you will actually ever come back to this site...

-Tom

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jessi and Tom said...

ADDENDUM!

So after Robinson, Maurer and Weltz sent me the policy and I read it all cover to cover... it turns out it says in the policy... no livabaords! So my adventure wasn't over yet. Already long story short - I ended up with (believe it or not) State Farm! They were the only ones I could find who would insure me on a huge wood boat with the limited pleasure boating experience I had. They took my Navy experience as valued training, but would have been happier with a USCG course too.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger blogguy said...

I agree with you. The time it takes you to check with an insurance agent before you buy a boat is time well spent.

Noel

http://www.boatabout.com

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Mark Petrelis said...

wow - first - my hats off to you for "living life on your terms"!

I actually came across your blog simply viewing "boat blogs" - you sir have a great blog and a great story!

Mark

My boat blog boat blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home